October 2021 | Paperback | 312 Pages | 9781789246810
In this book Stephanie Hedges draws on more than 20 years as a practicing veterinary nurse and her training as a Certificated Clinical Animal Behaviourist (CCAB). She provides a quick reference and practically relevant canine behaviour resource to meet both the specific needs of the veterinary nurse or technician and the needs of the wider general practice team.
The new edition has been completely revised and updated to include:
- New sections on canine emotions, the role of play, and how the canine senses affect a dog`s perception of their world and their communication with others
- A discussion of the relevance and limitations of breed in our understanding of dog behaviour
- Updated and expanded behavioural first aid advice including factors to consider when assessing risk
- A new chapter on the practice role in addressing fear of visiting the practice and veterinary interventions
- A focus on the emotional welfare of dogs throughout
Further topics include application of the `trigger stacking` principle to reduce stress and aggression in practice, approaches to minimising restraint when handling, advice for puppy owners to prevent future problems, tips for running successful puppy socialization classes, and strategies for managing or addressing unwanted behaviour. Practical Canine Behaviour continues to provide an essential practical resource for the general veterinary practice team, dog trainers, groomers, dog walkers, rescue centre staff, kennel owners and all those who love and care for dogs.